Microsoft Outlook 2007 and later versions let you easily create a customized signature that will help you market your business and add a professional touch to your emails. The signature can include text, images, links, or a business card you have set up in Outlook’s Contacts area.
For example, you could create a signature that includes your name, title, company, and contact information followed by your business’s logo. Or, you could create a signature that includes an image of your handwritten signature, with your business card underneath it.
After you create your signature, you have the option of specifying when Outlook should automatically add it to your emails. For instance, you can have the signature automatically added to any new messages you send.
To create a customized signature, follow these steps:
- Click the "New E-mail" button in Outlook’s Mail area.
- On the Message tab in the new email, click the "Signature" button and then select the "Signatures" option in the menu that appears.
- Click the "New" button.
- In the New Signature window that appears, enter an identifier for the signature. If you plan on using only one signature, it can simply be your name. Otherwise, it should be more descriptive, such as "Signature for new emails" or "Signature for replies".
- Click "OK" to close the New Signature window.
- In the "Edit signature" box, create the signature. You can change the format of any text you include by using the toolbar at the top of the box. For example, you can put your name in bold and change the size and font of the contact information.
- In the "Choose default signature" section, select the email account in which you want to use this signature.
- If you want the signature to be automatically added to all of your new emails, choose it in the "New Messages" drop-down list. If you prefer to manually add it to new emails, leave the default option of "(none)" selected.
- If you want the signature to be automatically added when you reply to or forward emails, choose it in the "Replies/forwards" drop-down list. Otherwise, leave the default option of "(none)" selected.
- Click "OK".
If you did not configure Outlook to automatically include the customized signature in your emails, you will need to manually add it. To do so, click the "Signature" button and then select your signature.
Note that the new email you opened to create your signature will not include it, even if you chose to apply the signature to all new messages. You will need to manually add the signature to this one message.